Friday, March 11, 2011

A thousand dollar smile!

From the moment we knew we were having a baby, I hoped he or she would get their daddy's teeth. I have terrible teeth. As a child Instead of getting an ice cream cone for having zero cavities I got to go back to the dentist to have 6 cavities filled. At the time, my mom didn't know any better and she didn't know that while my brother rarely brushed his teeth, I was brushing both morning and night. I spent a lot of time in the dentist's chair. We would go every six months and I was lucky enough to go back once or even twice in-between. I seriously hate going to the dentist!
When Molly's teeth started coming in, her pediatrician could see that they were very close together. He advised that we floss her teeth. We have been so good at taking care of her teeth. Molly never took a bottle, so she never went to sleep with milk or juice. It seems that it has all been for nothing! At her first "real" trip to the dentist, Molly had cavities between most of her front teeth and some between her molars. Her two front teeth were so bad that the dentist needed to put in crowns. Since there was so much work to be done, They had to put Molly out. She did a great job! I think she might even let me take her back.
It is hard spending so much money on teeth that are just going to fall out, but I guess it's important or something. Anyway...We are glad it's over and have decided that if she has more cavities next time, we're just going to stop brushing all together.

Before

After


4 comments:

Chris and Michelle said...

That's not fair to take such good care of her teeth and still have all those cavaties! That's a lot of work for those results. Chris' genes are the same way! Sad to say, Parker still hasn't had his first cleaning - I think it's more out of fear of what they will find (even though we brush good and floss too!). He is finally scheduled for next month so we'll see what happens... I hate worrying about my kids teeth. Do you use a fluoride rinse for her? I used to work for a dentist and he always strongly recommended "ACT". My kids love the bubblegum flavor. (it's even on sale right now at Target.)We'll see how well it works at his appt next month!;)

Heather said...

I feel so sad for Molly. She is one brave girl. Greg and I are the same way. I've always had problems with my teeth whereas Greg has never had a cavity in his whole life. I just hope my kids take after him.

Melinda said...

I had between 2 and 6 cavities every single time I went to the dentist until I was a teenager - soft enamel. However, I never had to go to the Orthodontist. Poor Molly girl.

Trace said...

I am with you girl. It didn't matter what I did growing up I always got cavities. Poor girl. At least you guys are willing and able to give her that glamorous smile. I see kids everyday who need dental intervention, but are unable. It is crazy to "fix" baby teeth but it is important to give the incoming teeth space to grow. If you ever want to try a new dentist our guy is AMAZING! He is also one of my best friends.lol